So your next dragon boat race is coming up soon and here is a small guide to help you prepare for the day. What do I bring?
- Paddle – if you have your own
- Seat pad – cushion for your tush, it’s a luxury
- Gloves – for grip and/or cold weather
- PFDs – make sure inflatables are allowed
Clothing and footwear
- Team jersey – if you have one
- Running shoes for warm up
- Sandals for the boat
- Water shoes or rain boots for muddy conditions – flip flops will get sucked into the mud
- Change of clothes
- Towel to dry off
*Check the weather forecast and pack accordingly. Make sure you have layers/dry clothing to keep warm.
- Healthy snacks – e.g. fruits and veggies, nuts.
- Light lunch to nibble on throughout the day – e.g. wraps, sandwiches
- Water bottle – 1L to 2L to stay hydrated for the day
- Thermos – for tea/coffee to stay warm on cold days
Protection from the elements
- Bug repellent
- Rain jacket/umbrella (just in case)
- Tent/tarp – in case it rains
- Personal first aid kit (including bandages, antiseptic ointment, and a blister kit)
- Bags – Large garbage/recycling bags help protect your duffel bag from the rain. It’s handy to have an extra bag for garbage.
- music, frisbees, cards, reading material, etc.
Do NOT bring
- valuables – jewelry